By design of nature, you are the prime preventive dentist for your own teeth, gums, and all other allied assets. But because your eyes cannot directly see your beautiful teeth and gums, you cannot really do full justice with the oral hygiene requirements. No amount of brushing and flossing by yourself can ensure complete removal of food debris from the back surfaces, the narrow spaces in between the teeth. The problem may be complicated by natural defects like crooked or misaligned teeth. Dental problems can also arise due to some typical habits like drinking and smoking, genetic disposition, and medication. This why our dentists at Gordon Family Dentistry in Brookhaven, GA put special emphasis on preventive dental procedures and treatment.
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is the contribution of the dental profession to ensure an optimal upkeep of your oral health. Main areas that are included in preventive dentistry are education of the patients, inspection, and treatment.
However, to make this effective and successful, your active cooperation is again crucial. Only the patient can maintain the regularity of dental visits and only the patient can enforce the advice given by the dentist. Regular visits to the dentist are especially important.
What to expect in a visit to the dentist?
In a typical routine visit to our office at Gordon Family Dentistry will consist of the following:
- Record completion– (If it is your first visit) your dentist will take a complete dental and medical history. It is time to tell him everything frankly and accurately. Do not hesitate to provide any relevant detail to your dentist that you think might be useful in your diagnosis and treatment. your dentist will also ask about any sensitivities, family medical susceptibilities, etc.
- Listen to you– The dentist will listen to whatever you may like to tell him or her about your dental health
- Examination– The dentist will make a very thorough examination of your oral cavity:
- Signs of caries (cavities) forming, or gum disease setting in.
- Alignment of teeth
- Any fracture or chip-off on a tooth
- Correct color of your teeth. Any discoloration point to some undesirable cause.
- Proper mating of your teeth (bite)
- Any other signs of abnormality in the oral cavity.
- Necessary Treatment which could include any of the following or others:
- Fluoride treatment
- Professional Advice– if your dentist observes any situation that requires your attention, you will be provided professional advice and guidance about. For example, your dentist may feel that your brushing or flossing is not very effective. Therefore, you will be instructed about the optimal way of brushing and flossing. Your dentist may give you advice about any necessary dietary changes that will improve your oral health. All this is done to protect your oral and general health and well-being.
Do you want to your teeth to last for a lifetime? Then preventive dentistry is all that you require. Visit us at Gordon Family Dentistry in Brookhaven, GA where we will take good care of all your dental needs.