There are no teeth like your natural teeth, and no gums like your natural gums! like every machine suffers from wear and tear and needs repair, our teeth also need to be looked after regularly. Good oral hygiene tends to slow down the wear of teeth, and push back the aging effects, but need for repair is unavoidable. This is where surgical and restorative dentistry comes in. It involves diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the oral cavity, restoring its function and aesthetics. At Gordon Family Dentistry, our main aim is to restore your natural teeth, instead of going for prosthetic appliances.
Dental Specialties Involved in Restorative Dentistry
Restorative dentistry is really a multidisciplinary function. The following dental specialties contribute to restorative dentistry in various measures:
- Periodontics (gum treatment)
Restorative Dentistry also draws on various specialties like
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Services Offered by Restorative Dentistry
Restorative dentistry services include, but are not limited to:
- Dental Fillings– this is perhaps the simplest and the most common restoration. A timely filling in a developing cavity is like the proverbial ‘stitch in time’ and will save you a lot of impending trouble. Various filling material choices are available:
- Silver amalgam– Economical and durable, but not acceptable for visible teeth due to the conspicuous color.
- Composites– cheap and can be color matched. However, they can easily be stained. They have a relatively shorter lifespan.
- Crowns –crowns can also be made from various materials like steel, gold alloy, porcelain, to suit various aesthetic demands budget priorities.
Dental extraction– We will always try to preserve our natural tooth, but there may be situations when it is better extracted. For broken teeth, or teeth with multiple roots, surgery may be needed.
- Root canal therapy-it is also called endodontic treatment. It is almost the final effort to save an aching tooth.
- Root end surgery– Root end surgery may be needed when the root of a tooth is badly infected, and the infection cannot be controlled with medication.
- Scaling and root-planing is part of gum disease treatment. Plaque is removed under the gum and the tooth root is made less rough so that it is less likely to hold plaque and bacteria.
- Tooth polishing– restores natural looks of the teeth.
- Dental implants– these are the latest additions to restorative dentistry for replacement of teeth. A titanium post is screwed into the jaw bone, and an artificial crown placed on it. It works almost like natural teeth.
- Dentures and bridges– Dentures are a set of replacement teeth for a jaw. Full and partial dentures are possible. Dentures e supported on implants are much more reliable and convenient.
- Porcelain Veneers-these are very fine shells available in various colors. Those are bonded to the front surfaces of teeth for cosmetic reasons.
- Full Mouth Reconstruction-the entire oral cavity with teeth, gums, bite and jaw rehabilitation is performed giving an excellent improvement in function and aesthetics.
- TMJ Disorder Treatment– This repairs the disorders in the joint between the jaws. TMJ disorders can make, speech and eating difficult, and cause a very unfavorable effect on one’s appearance.
Our highly qualified and experienced team of dentists at Gordon Family Dentistry will make sure that you are provided the best restorative dental services in area of Brookhaven, GA. We firmly believe that there is no match to your natural teeth. Therefore, we do our best to restore your natural dentition, so that you enjoy a natural smile and perfect speech and eating capability.